Pages

3/31/11

since we did so well with the 00s...

ten best comedies of the 90s:

in no particular order -
There's Something About Mary
Dazed and Confused (a comedy? apparently I think so...)
The Big Lebowski
South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
Dumb and Dumber
Swingers
Office Space
Naked Gun 2&1/2
Hot Shots
Waiting for Guffman

Sorry, no Groundhog Day on my list ... it's getting a little tricky here b/c it's easier to remember ones on other people's lists that I really did not like (Chasing Amy) than it is to differentiate between the 'I liked it but I can't remember how much' movies.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

have you given up on the o's? where's your annual "this is their year for these 19 reasons" post?

julie said...

I think I laughed out loud when I saw Home Alone in the theatre, surprising as that might be today. Not sure if Night on Earth could be considered a comedy, but it *was* funny. Also, I haven't seen them but people really LOVE Hal Hartley films.

Will said...

i don't think I saw home alone until i saw it with Owen and suffice it to say that, yes, it is surprising to me that you laughed out loud in the theater.

I don't know about night on earth or hal hartley films but that did somehow remind me of 'wecome to the dollhouse' which seems like it has to get on this list. let's take out hot shots

Don said...

Hmmmm.... Not much Sandler or Farley on that list....

Don said...

The 90s were a much deeper decade for comedy than the 00s, although I think the 00's had bigger hits and enduring classics. That being said, you know how I feel about extra long tv shows making the list (good as it was). But I am even more upset about the glaring omission of My Cousin Vinny. I also am surprised that you would betray Wayne's World so callously. My Cousin Vinny has to be on the list though.

Will said...

Don -- MCV should be on there...no doubt. Let's not forget the best supporting actress win for Marisa Tomei ...

Farley, Sandler, Spade... I didn't feel like any big screen effort matched laughs in other venues. I still give Spade's stand up show I went to an alltime top 10 comedy experience.