Pages

9/29/09

MRI opener

After sending hundreds of patients for MRIs, I figured it was time to see what all the fuss was about. So...two weeks ago, I sprained my thumb catching a football -- or perhaps I should say not catching a football -- and sustained a possible Stener's injury that can only be diagnosed with MR images and only fixed with surgery. So long-story short, I sat for 80 minutes in the MRI tube last night face down with my arm outstretched until basically my entire R arm was numb. They were having trouble getting the right 'cuts' so they switched the MR coils three times adding 50 mins to the quoted 30 on top of the fact that they started this process an hour late. What is this, Canada?

2 comments:

Don Martin said...

What'd you do? Go to DUH? Remember when they diagnosed me with a "potentially" dislocated thumb by looking at a drawing in a book? And you should talk to Sam about the times he has had to send some dimensionally challenged people to the Hartford Zoo for the elephant MRI. Not a long wait there it seems.

Will said...

I did go to DUH...I should've remembered that thumbs weren't their specialty. The ER doc said 'I took a look at the films and it's just a sprain.' I mean, c'mon, dude, even orthopedic surgeons wait for the radiologist to read hand films. Then he called back and said - 'The radiologist took a second look [and by this we can assume he meant a first look] and said 'actually, there is a fracture' but it's small so the only thing you'll need is the splint I already gave you' which of course was ALSO incorrect information. I mean, seriously, no one is impressed by displays of hubris by doctors. Remember when Diana was an inpatient at DUH and found a whole soup can lid in her chicken soup?
I had no idea about the elephant MRI. That may come in handy if oh cmon don't make me say it