Pages

3/21/09

Allergy season

I was violently rubbing my eyes this morning creating some wicked allergic shiners when I noticed that I don't breathe when I rub my eyes. Why? two guesses

one: can't do two face-related things at once? but I breathe while brushing my teeth

two: left over evolutionary survival technique? We used to sleep in caves on the ground . .. If a proto-bear or saber-toothed tiger snuck in and started poking at our eyeballs with its snout, not breathing might make us seem dead and unfit for consumption. This might sound far-fetched but there are some pretty crazy facial reflexes like cold water in the ear causing horizontal nystagmus and cold water on the eyes causing bradycardia, which I have just learned is referred to in some circles as the mammalian diving reflex.

Maybe you can breathe while rubbing your eyes but I wouldn't get in the habit unless you plan on never sleeping in caves.

No comments: