Pages

5/4/09

Pretty sneaky, sis

I experienced my first (that I know of) attempted '2nd generation' internet scam. I had logged into my online banking account earlier in the day with one failed attempt. I got an email from Wachovia, with real Wachovia logo, saying 'There have been multiple failed attempts to log into your account from multiple computers. You need to click on this link to verify your login/password.' With my antennae already up -- I wear them at work to get cell phone signal -- I clicked on the link, which took me to an identical facsimile of the Wachovia 'verify your login/password' page EXCEPT the URL in the browser read "http:\\foresthillsrealestate.net."

Anyway, I'm probably the last person on Earth to have caught on to these but thought I'd pass on a warning nonetheless. It's either that or talk about the Orioles' sixth loss in a row, so count your blessings.

2 comments:

julie said...

Weird. I had a very similar experience today but my verification image didn't appear so I knew something was up. I'm pretty sure this was related to the worm that shut down our network for 3 days while they cleaned it up. Maybe it's finally hit the VA as well?

Will said...

I thought I might've been entering a worm-hole.

and by not talking about the O's, except to mention not talking about them, they won.