Pages

9/29/08

A.C.L.


Rather than stuff our money under our mattresses, Julie, Melissa & Crew and I decided to blow our wads in Austin, TX at the famed Austin City Limits music festival. Julie couldn't get her camera in the 3-day extravaganza so I'll just sum it up in words: 10 stages, 3 days, 120 bands, two clouds, 92 degrees, Barton Springs waterin' hole, Lone Star beer, funk, alt country, indie rock, bluegrass, Alison Kraus/Robert Plant 'Black Dog'gin' it, gently rolling Texas Hill Country brush kicked up into tiny dust-grass particles. It was lots of fun. I will give my Best-in-Show award as a tie: Antibalas, Band of Horses, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, and Kraus/Plant with Del the Funky Homosapien , Neko Case and the South Austin Jug Band not far behind .

(We got O some cowboy boots here. He wants to wear them to school -- this is OK as O says Kate wears 'cowgirl boots' all the time)

5 comments:

julie said...

Best trip in years. BOH is playing in Philly in January again ... FYI.

Don said...

I am so insanely jealous it is ridiculous. And O is right about the boots. Totally acceptable.

Unknown said...

Can't believe South Austin Jug Band is still around. When did we discover them? Halloween 2004? Great to hear they are still kickin' it. Band of Horses is truly great live...
Sounds like a good time. Definately want to see pics of O in the cowboy boots...

julie said...

I think my photography adds a lot and should be credited. : )

Will said...

It was 2003 -- I remember b/c it was the same trip Brendan and I saw UT kick the stuffing out of the Huskers. Anyway, the fiddle player looks like he's 22 so they'll be pickin' and grinnin' for years to come.